Last night we got back late late late from a 3 day whirlwind trip to Seattle. Although very little time was spent actually in Seattle, since few of my friends live near the city. Nor do they live close to each other. (Note to friends who keep trying to persuade us to move back up to Seattle... you would definitely sweeten the deal if you could all move, say, within a 15 mile perimeter of each other? That's not too much to ask, is it?) So we spent a lot of time in our sweet Chrysler 300-- when we travel, we roll in high style. Clara also got to ride in a plane, a shuttle, and a ferry, and she was a dream-baby for most of the weekend, a miracle considering how inconsiderate we were of her nap and bed-times. Luckily, we had plenty of chill-time amidst all of the traveling, as evidenced by the pic below.
I haven't lived in Seattle since 1998, when I drove away with my mom in a UHaul with a raging hangover and tears in my eyes watching Laura wave goodbye in her PJs in the side view mirror. As my super-senior year at UW drew to a close, I was pretty sure I was going to try living somewhere else, assuming that I'd be back someday. But somewhere along the line, I got detained in Socal. I met a guy, got a job, got married, went back to school, got another job, had a kid... and so the story goes. Our roots and family are here too. But all along, I have really, really missed my college friends. Over the years I've seen everyone once or twice a year either down here or up there, usually coinciding with bridal showers, weddings, baby showers, etc. But now that everyone is having babies who are growing into not-so-little babies at an alarming rate, the time passing and corresponding amount of time I don't get to spend with my friends is really sinking in. I got to meet Lori's son Mason for the first time on Friday, and he'll be two in a few weeks.
TWO! I've seen Lori a couple of times in the interim, but still. And I haven't even gotten to meet Lisa's two-year-old yet. (Although I did get the joy of meeting the newest little munchkin of the group, her 4-week old son Conner.)
Kim and Jedd are expecting a baby girl in a couple of months, Kelsey also has two sons now, so does Misha... the list goes on and on. (There's definitely something in the water up there.) I guess we're all growed up now, but somewhere I still feel like the 17 year old who moved to Seattle knowing not a soul. I didn't want to join a sorority, and only rushed to appease my grandmother, who had told me stories of sleeping porches (as I wondered why they wouldn't sleep inside) and friends for life. Yeah, yeah... whatever you say, Nana. But she was right.
I just downloaded my photos from the weekend, and I was apparently too busy hanging out with old friends to actually take any photos of them. (Kim, can you send me any photos from your shower?) But I'll leave you with my new favorite photo of Clara, since it's been a while since I've uploaded any new pics.
Oh, and here's one last pic of Clara with one of her many potential suitors (that is, when she's 31 and allowed to date), Ben and Misha's gorgeous baby boy Kian.
(Thankfully, for now anyhow, she's much more interested in her fists than in boys.)
3 comments:
friends are good. i don't know what I'd do without my high school girlfriends. I wouldn't have this many frequent flier miles for starters.
You're a great friend, and I'm lucky to have you in my life. Sounds like you three had a fun trip back to Seattle. Wish I could have been there too! : )
We had so much fun seeing you and Chria and meeting Clara T. Hazelnut. She is really quite adorable. Mazi missed out. He kept talking about "Jamie" yesterday. Strange. He must have known there was some activity in his room when he wasn't there.
Glad we still keep in touch and even gladder this blog is here. I feel like I know Clara better than the babies right here in Seattle!
Cute photo, too. I'll get one up on our blog one of these...years.
Post a Comment