A few weeks ago we got to take a much needed good old fashioned family vacation. Our destination? My favorite place on earth: Lake Tahoe.
The glorious time we spent was bookended with awesome visits from Aaron & Lisa (front end) and Bill & Amy (back end), and Nate and Sarah on both ends.
But the highlight of the trip for me was Chria and I getting to spend a whole week alone with Clara Bear. I realized this was the first time since she was one week old that we have gotten to spend more than a weekend together with just the three of us, enjoying a life unencumbered by bills, the internet, yardwork, or cell phones. (Although we did get a visit from the cable guy... but it was still like vacation because this was the coolest, most helpful cable guy EVER.) We spent the week swimming, hiking, lazing, and cooking. Clara especially enjoyed the hiking.
Huge thanks to my aunt and uncle for sharing their second home with us... this trip was especially poignant for me because a lot memorabilia which decorates their cabin is from my Nana and Papa's vacation home in Redbluff, CA. We used to go up once a year, and I always spent the first day of each trip reacquainting myself with the various fish-themed knick knacks on the walls, on shelves, and in drawers, including the same 1984 edition of Glamour magazine (which no, wasn't fish-themed, and sadly didn't make the trip to Tahoe Donner).
Seeing these objects again and again in John & Suzi's place is a sweet trip down memory lane. The Tahoe Cabin is also host to part of Nana's Santa collection... at one point I was lying on the floor with Clara playing with a little pair of wheeled Santas that Nana painted. I told CJ all about Nana, and while she was wheeling Bearded Tole Painted Man #1 across the carpet, she said Na-Na... and I burst into tears. I know she narrates most of her daily activities with some inflection of Na-Na-Na-Na...... but this particular time made me wish that she could get to know her great-grandmother. I really miss her... and like to think they'd be pretty fond of each other.
The week went by waaaaay too fast... and on the last day we sadly packed up the car, and managed not to leave Rocket wandering in the woods (although that is only due to luck and not his alarmingly successful escape act.).
So now we're back to reality, and I think Clara is wondering what happened to all of the pine trees.
3 comments:
AND, clara is walking!! Why is she being carted around, instead of buying her a nifty pair of hiking boots for this adventure traveler?? (although, I'm still on the lookout for a video to corroborate your story... fact or fiction, is she walking?) We love tahoe too. Good times. xoxo
ahh pine trees. sounds like you had a blast.
It's hard to go on record as to her walking, as it's hard to say if it's "official." She'll go about 10 steps between pieces of furniture, but she hasn't quite figured out how to stand up without the aid of a wall, pantleg, hand, etc. And she hasn't figured out how to swing her arms yet, she's got a little bit of the Frankenstein's monster thing going.
Post a Comment