Thursday, January 17, 2008

inventory

I read or heard somewhere about a supermom who kept track of her kids' first words by lovingly writing them in their babybook. In gold-leaf calligraphy. (Or not... but I like to imagine it that way.)

In any case, I thought I'd try my hand at assembling a list of Clara's verbal gems to date, in no particular order. It's not calligraphy... but I am a fast typist. Is that the 21st century equivalent?

hi
bye
ball
duck (Q: "Clara, what does a duck say?" A: "duck duck")
dog (daaawwg)
more
(ba)nana (usually said while hyperventilating in panicked anticipation)
all done
yum
up
down
mama*

dada
home
eye
nose
shoe
bubble
milk
baby
kitty
hat
backpack (thanks, Dora.)
Elmo (refers to both the furry red muppet and, somewhat inexplicably, Owen.)
hop
Molly (mol mol)
teeth
no
mine
hot
toes
uh-oh

And my personal favorite, which doesn't really classify as a word so much...
"ah cha cha cha cha" (a'la Jimmy Durante. Taught to Clara by her friends Kai and Finn.)

*"Mama" apparently has two meanings. 1) Me. 2) Anything she's not supposed to have. I guess I've gotten in the habit of telling her, "No, that's Mama's." As in, "Mama's coffee," "Mama's remote control," "Mama's wine." So now CJ points at a glass of wine and gleefully says, "Mama!" Oops.


3 comments:

Laura said...

She's quite the smartie artie. That's quite a list there! Good job, clara. The real world is hard, and speaking is important to your survival.

Chria said...

And don't forget toes ("doze"), she added that one this week!

Sarah Q said...

Addie pointed at a picture of a bra and said "Mama."