Tuesday, February 19, 2008

we're going on a bear hunt

Luckily, my parents' neighborhood in the OC is only populated by pretend bears.

My niece is an expert bear-hunter, and with Grandma's help, initiated Clara into the subtle art of trespassing. The good news is that it's not really trespassing if you're doing it with the intent of ridding your neighbors' property of imaginary ferocious mammals. Being a bear-hunter of the amateur variety, I eagerly soaked up this bit of knowledge, and also learned the following (transcribed from my field notes):

Even the hardiest bear-hunters need a rest now and then.

Sometimes a rest isn't enough for mighty bear-hunters. They have no shame in relying on their elders for transportation.

Bear-hunting is dirty work, best rewarded at the end of the day with a warm bath and Tollhouse cookies fresh from the oven.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Were they also asked to bring stuff along and to repeat the complete list... "I'm going on a bear hunt, and I'm going to bring: a flashlight, mama, a map, gummi bears, ice cream, my bathing suit, a squirt gun..."

lisat said...

A bear hunt is a good idea! We often go for bunny hunts looking for the tons and tons of wild bunnies in our neighborhood. However, it is often not as rewarding as bunnies sense us coming and are very fast......

jamie said...

Perhaps the bunnies are running from the imaginary bears!

PerryBlog said...

Kyla goes on cat hunts often, rather, I should say cat "attacks." Wiki & Babu are on to her and clear out at the first sign but Mr. T is an easy target. I think he enjoys being caught by Kyla.