Monday, May 12, 2008

mommie dearest

koi hunting

The other night Jeannine and Sarah and I were having a conversation about how it's strange that toddlers automatically add the "ie" sound to words, even if that's not the way you attempt to teach them to say it. Ducky. Kitty. Doggy. Birdie. Poopy.

You get the picture.

Clara must have gotten wind of this conversation, since over the weekend she decided to try this out on me. Instead of Mama, who I've been for the last year, I am now Mommy. Or, if you will... MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY. I figured this would eventually happen... I just didn't realize it would be so soon. But she's still switching it up on me, maybe testing it out and seeing which one she thinks fits best. Only time will tell! (I wonder if I can gently urge her towards one or the other... perhaps with a well timed scowl or poke with a fork every time she says "mommy"?) Oh well. In the end it'll be her decision anyhow, so I might as well get over it.

On another note, Chria and Clara treated me to a lovely Mother's Day. Mama's Day. Mommy's Day. All of the above.

And to all the Mamas out there, hope you had a great day, too!

6 comments:

Sarah Q said...

Funny Addie does the same thing! Sometimes Mama, sometimes Mommy. Cap she either calls Dada or Cap. Or sometimes Po. Guess she got that from me. Happy Mama/Mommy Day!

Laura said...

I know it sounds bad, and I'm sure you already know this, but being a loving mama, you maybe didnt go this route with your thoughts... BUT, ignoring certain behavior is an effective psych tool if you want to encourage (or discourage) certain things. Let's not knock it. They say to ignore during tantrums, so some ignoring is a good thing. Kids choosing to say mommy vs. mama, might not have been what the psychologists had in mind, but... If you do a couple well placed ignoring of 'mommy', and readily respond to 'mama', I bet she'd make the switch back pretty quickly.

Yeah, really, I cant spin this in any nice way! I know, I a totally bad person for suggesting ignoring a child!! Ah.

Laura said...

Oh, and happy mothers day!! Glad you were treated to a fun day. xoxo.

PerryBlog said...

Cute pic of you girls in your hats! BTW, I'm finally feeling better - I think the antibiotics were a little rough on the belly. ugh.

jamie said...

nah... mommy doesn't bug me that much. it just seemed like something older kids say, instead of coming out of the mouth of my not-even-two-year-old. :)

lisat said...

Funny! I never really thought about it like that but it is true. First mama, then mommy, then sniff, sniff, sadly mom. Yes, Braden has recently moved to calling me mom sometimes. That is when they really start seeming like big kids!