But here I sit, having had you in my life for 4 months now, wishing the Tivo remote worked on babies. (It doesn't... I've tried.)

I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but at some point over the last month or so, you have morphed from a teeny squoodgy bobblehead newborn into a chubby, roly poly, honest-to-god Baby. One with rosy cheeks that look like they're stuffed full of blueberry muffins, a soft round baby Buddha tummy, scrumptious dimpled elbows and knees and fingers, and the most alert, sparkly blue eyes I've ever seen. And one who sleeps. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the glorious sleep!
This last month has been a big one for all of us. You had your first Christmas, during which you were passed around among a gazillion relatives (allowing your mama and daddy to drink wine and be merry and know you were in good hands) and spoiled rotten by said relatives as well. You even blessed most of the relatives with the occasional smile or goofy monologue, in between your stellar naps. (But don't worry about Grampa Rick when he pouts and says you don't like him... it's good for him to have to work a little harder for your affection.)
You and I survived our first air travel together, which was relatively unremarkable, except for your impeccable sense of timing in throwing up the entire contents of your breakfast all over me just as I had taken my shoes off in the security line. After said flight, you experienced your first annual Tahoe Pilgrimage, where we learned that it is indeed possible to have a small baby AND a boatload of fun at the same time. You made some new friends too, including Finn, who is seen here giving Rocket a rare break to read to you.

You have recently started to laugh, and we'll even forgive you for gifting your first laugh to Sarah Q instead of us, because she is very funny. Your little hiccupy giggles are hilarious though, and although I can't elicit them nearly as well as your daddy, it doesn't stop me from trying.

You've also graduated to a Big Girl Stroller, which means we can cruise Mar Vista with the dog in high style. Rumor has it this new stroller is a smooth ride, but you'll never know because you haven't taken a walk in it without the fits and starts of Rocket lurching his way through the neighborhood. Let's just say it won't be any surprise to me or your daddy when your first words turn out to be "Rocket, NO." and "Let's GO, Dog." (The word "dog" to be spat out derisively, as one would say "Turd.")

My maternity leave also ended this month. I've already written about this, and won't say much more about it here. But I find myself daydreaming about you while at work, and counting down the hours until I can go home, to my family.

I love you, sweet Clarasnowbunny.
Mama
2 comments:
That is one gummy sweet smile you have there clara! I dont think I could ever tire of saying 'how cute you are!!'. So cute.
It is my distinct honor to have made Clara giggle. I am humbled.
Post a Comment