Friday, September 22, 2006

namesake



Clara's middle name is after Chria's mother Joan, who passed away in March 1999. I think Chria was hoping that she would show up on her birthday, September 20. But as Chria's cousin Michelle put it, "if Clara is anything like Joan, I'm not surprised that she made her splash on her very own day!" Unfortunately I never got to know Joan, but from what I've heard from her friends and family, she was a pretty remarkable woman. And I look forward to getting to know more about her as Chria and I raise this little girl, who will undoubtedly have a little bit (or a lot?) of her grandma in her. All I know is... Joan couldn't help but be bursting with pride as she sees what an amazing father her son has become in just a few short days.

Clara is certainly one lucky girl.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

she certainly is...

I don't know what I love more about this photo, Mike's black socks, the homemade sign or the fact that Chria looks so tiny. It's a toss up.

jamie said...

gordon's safari suit is also a contender. :)

Anonymous said...

Dammit, you made me cry, again!

I stand by the black socks. Anyone who remembers 1974 will tell you I was the picture of fashion for a three-year-old! Dad was in his Hemingway phase (note the beard), so one should forgive him the bush attire.

Look at the hair on Mom! Clara's got some good genes on that front...