Monday, October 09, 2006

guest blogger: grandpa gordon


Saturday, October 7, 2006

Dear Clara,

This is the third Saturday you have been with us. This evening as usual I pull up the picture of you sleeping, wrapped up in a blanket and with a cute cap on. That makes me feel very good because I feel the future in you. I see Grandma Joan in your eyelids and she would be proud to have you carry her name. You look both serene and yet stubborn and that it very important in making a way in this world. I imagine a time when you will come and stay with me and we will have fun making little things in the shop/studio. I imagine making up a story to make you laugh and I laugh when I wonder how Katykins will take to you. We can go for a little walk and all my neighbors will be jealous of me for having such a cute girl by the hand.

Sleep on sweet Clara, even as you sleep you are growing and preparing for the next week and all the ones after that. You are lucky to have such wonderful parents who love you so much and who will take such good care of you. Oh yes, there will be those times it is necessary to cry a bit; this is not a perfect world; you will find that out soon enough. Still for all of us in the family your arrival has made our lives just a little bit fuller, given us back some of the hope that slips away.

I shall come over soon and hold you again and smile and smile. Good night sweet child, you give us all happier dreams.

Love,
Gordon, your grandfather, or such a name a you will choose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sent a note to your mother, but whatever name you choose to call your grandparents, they will always love you very much.

By the way you did very well at the crazy Gaskins side of the family, just three more to go.

Love Grampa

!